Latest News

Southport Spit Development: Have your say

Southport Spit Development: Have your say

The community will have an opportunity to share their experiences of The Spit and their aspirations for its future at a series of pop-up engagement sessions throughout February and March as part of the consultation process for The Spit master plan.

Minister for State Development, Manufacturing, Infrastructure and Planning, Cameron Dick said the master plan will establish a shared vision for the long-term future of The Spit.

“The community will be involved throughout the master planning process, as we work with a highly talented group of planning and design experts to produce an outstanding master plan for The Spit,” Mr Dick said.

“This is a fantastic opportunity to create jobs for the Gold Coast through tourism, entertainment and recreation, while preserving the character of The Spit.

“The master plan will include input from the Gold Coast City Council and the Gold Coast Waterways Authority.

“People can visit https://www.qld.gov.au/southport-spit, to find information about the pop-up sessions and how to subscribe to receive updates about the consultation process.”

Member for Gaven, Meaghan Scanlon said the pop-up sessions offered residents the perfect opportunity to have their views heard on the future of The Spit.

“I would urge everyone who is interested in the future of this iconic part of the Coast to visit one of the pop-up stalls and have their say,” Ms Scanlon said.

Information collected at the pop-up sessions will feed into a major consultation event to be held in late April, which will enable key stakeholders to put forward their vision for the future of The Spit and contribute to setting the direction of the master planning process.

The Coordinator-General has independently assessed the City of Gold Coast’s application for its proposed ocean-side cruise ship terminal to be declared a coordinated project and, in light of the current master planning process, has decided not to declare the project.

The Coordinator-General’s decision does not prevent the council from progressing the proposal, nor does it preclude the council from reapplying to the Coordinator-General following the completion of the master plan.

Mr Dick said the recent release by the government of an Invitation to Offer for master planning services is an important step in the master plan process and encouraged interested consultants to visit the Queensland government’s QTenders website.

Offers must be submitted by 2pm Tuesday 6 February 2018.

 

 

RELATED LINKS

https://haveyoursay.dilgp.qld.gov.au/the-spit

https://www.statedevelopment.qld.gov.au/major-projects/community-consultation.html

 

 

No Comments so far

Jump into a conversation

No Comments Yet!

You can be the one to start a conversation.

Your data will be safe!Your e-mail address will not be published. Also other data will not be shared with third person.